Monday, September 27, 2010

Two Cakes for Two Types of Dessert Lovers

I am sure you have heard variations of this before: there are two types of dessert lovers in the world - one who loves chocolate and one who loves citrusy stuff.
To satisfy the two types of dessert lovers, I baked not one but two types of cakes for my grandmother's birthday: a deep dark chocolate banana cake for the cocoa-philes and not exactly a lemon cake but an equally tart and sweet mango-passionfruit cake.


The chocolate banana cake has a base of crispy-crunchy milk chocolate royaltine, followed by a layer of sour cream-muscovado sugar chocolate sponge (yum! if I may say it myself!) and layers of chocolate mousse laced with banana slices. I contemplated soaking the chocolate sponge with a rum syrup but eventually decided against it as children and of course, my granny would be eating this.



Much as I love chocolate, I would never say no to fruit based cakes. Passionfruit cake is my absolute favourite as the aroma of the wrinkly purple fruit is just intoxicating. I layered this cake with passionfruit mousse and added mango cubes to the mousse for some bite. The top is made from swirls of luscious mango slices. The taste is sweet and slight tart at the same time. Simply refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment