Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Presenting... the Gula Melaka Cake!


The six words which I had been hearing everyday at work, ever since I innocently accepted a gift of oh-so fragrant gula melaka from Malacca - "where is the gula melaka cake?!"

I jokingly endured months before I could finally find the time to bake the cake. I was let off the hook when I presented my food-crazy colleagues with my version of Alice Medrich's  (oh, how I love love love Alice!) fabulous coconut palm cream cake.

As I am not genetically programmed to follow instructions (well, not even Alice's sometimes), I decreased the amount of white sugar and instead of 3/4 cup of milk, I used 1/2 cup of coconut milk and 1/4 cup of milk. The smell emitting from the oven was amazing when the cake was baking. The taste was even more incredible. It was oh-so fragrant, moist and did I mention, it smelled and tasted amazing!

As the cake was rich by itself (the recipe did require 180g butter!), I presented it plain as a loaf cake with no cream filling which I felt, would complicate the rustic taste of the cake.


Everyone raved about this cake and told me that this should be my signature cake! Haha... Maybe!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, may I ask for the recipe ! You may email me at rocksnstones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete